Sannat lies to the south of  Gozo.  Sannat, or more properly ta' Sannat, was one of the first places in Gozo to become a separate parish.  The building of the present parish church is dedicated to Saint Margaret Martyr, began on the site of a much smaller church in 1718, and several structural changes were made in the 1860's.  The present church was consecrated on 16th October 1755, and again on 22nd November 1868 (due to more structural changes).

Motto

 

'Labor Ante Omnia'

Work Before All Things

Ix-Xoghol Qabel Kollox

 

Sannat was once famed for its lace making, and there is still a little of this traditional craft carried out today.  The village has Gozo's highest cliffs, at Ta' Cenc, some 130 metres in height.  These cliffs were especially important during the times of the Knights, as they provided essential breeding grounds for their Peregrine hunting falcons.  Today, the cliffs are home to a large colony of Cory's Sheerwaters; the last falcons having died out in the 1980's.  The cliff tops are also home to several archaeological sites such as the 'cart ruts', parallel tracks hewn in the rocks.  There are also remains of a temple and several standing stones (dolmens).  The village has many religious niches.