Nadur,  spread out over the top of a plateau is the most populated village on Gozo.  The name is derived from the Maltese 'nadar', which means to observe at length.  Much of the island of Gozo and beyond can be seen from Nadur. The village has a huge church dedicated to the apostles Saints Peter and Paul.  The foundation stone was laid in December 1760, but the aisles and facade were built at the beginning of the twentieth century based on a design by the renowned Maltese architect Francesco Saverio Sciortino.  The parish of Nadur was established on 28th April 1688; the church of the Immaculate Conception, Qala,  then in the same territory, being the seat of the parish for quite some years.  The present church was consecrated on 12th May 1867.  The church is covered entirely in marble, and there are paintings on the dome and ceiling by the Maltese Lazzaro Pisani depicting episodes from the lives of Saints Peter and Paul.

The parish church owns the Gozo Maritime Museum, just off the village square.  This was donated to the parish by Michael Grima.


Motto
'Vigilat'
Vigilant
Ighasses


Nadur has grown very quickly in recent years and is considered Gozo's second town.  It is the fruit growing district of the island, and renowned for its Carnival.  Nearby are the small coves of Dahlet Qorrot and San Blas - perfect for snorkelling.  Easy to reach from here is Gozo's largest sandy bay, Ir-Ramla.

 

Service Providers in Nadur

Vella Pharmacy